Last night, I invited my ten seniors over for Hamlet and Pizza.
I made them homemade pizza. They sat at my dining room table talking about prom. We moved to the living room and ate and read the first act of Hamlet.
Favorite moments:
I ask them what Claudius is saying in his "Your father lost a father" speech. One of my kids who struggles to understand Shakespeare looked up with a face betraying TOTAL recognition and said "he's calling Hamlet a pussy."
We read Hamlet's line about "posting with such dexterity to incestuous sheets" and a couple of my kids started guffawing at the audacity of the line. They kept laughing as I explained to the rest of the class what "posting" is, and what it looks like.
Everyone commented on how creepy and uncomfortable a sex talk Laertes gave his sister in I.iii (I mean, really, what brother talks to his sister about whether or not she's "opening her chaste treasure" to her boyfriend? ew.
Have I mentioned, lately, how fun it is to play with Shakespeare?
No comments:
Post a Comment