Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I don't want to say exciting, but maybe an inciting article in the New York Times today, part of an ongoing conversation about the difficulty female playwrights seem to have in getting to Broadway. This young woman at Princeton put together some pretty strong research that looks at the possible factors involved in that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/theater/24play.html?_r=2&ref=theater

What do I take from it?
1) The playwright with a play ready to go, wins.
2) Don't assume that because the AD or Lit. Manager of a theater is female, she will automatically be an advocate...on the other hand, no matter what this study might imply, don't assume she's out to screw you. Just know that a man is as likely to be an ally in getting your page to the stage as a woman.
3) Work harder. Get your play in front of people. Work harder. So what? Do we need higher "batting averages?" Then know that, and get moving.

2 comments:

what the crust said...

wow!!

www.nyfa.com

jenny said...

I know, right? And despite what I wrote earlier, it's not that I'm not mulling over the deeper social implications that might or might not be made clear from this young woman's study...No Passport's been blowing up my inbox with it...