is
as a vow of conversation.
It's being honest about a conversation that is already happening between you and your work, you and the things on your mind, you and the art, to which you as an artist owe your time, your attention. It's a vow of conversation to the world at large, that you are entering into through temporary silence."
My Observations on Silence:
1) It became clear very quickly how much of what I had to say was filler, a way of "performing self" for the people around me, ie bullshit.
2) It became clear soon after that many of the more pressing things I wanted to say were questions, or observations that, while I might want to make them, could wait until later. If they were still there at the end of the silence, they were worth asking/saying.
3) It was interesting to notice what kinds of conversation were the hardest to let go of. For me, I really wanted to make sure that everybody else was okay -- if someone needed tea, or looked like they were having a tough time, those were the times it was hardest for me to maintain silence. When we could talk, and could compare those sticking points, it turned out everyone had different "hot buttons." Good to know what prompts your speech, what rose, insistent, to the surface.
No comments:
Post a Comment